Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Tear down those walls

Well, after my initial excitement about the start of bricklaying, how quickly that can turn into disappointment.
While we were at the house on Sunday, I commented that I hope the mortar lightens up when it is dry because it sure doesn't look off-white to me!!!

First thing Monday morning sent an email to our contact at Romeo just to make sure that the bricklayers knew they had to use off-white mortar.    24 hours later!!! This morning I received an email saying that they had made a mistake and it will be rectified ASAP.   

Went for my usual trip down today to see the two poor bricklayers starting to demolish all their hard work, I felt so sorry for them, and told them so.   They were ok about it and said they were glad they found out about it before the steel lintels were in place.   So its back to the beginning we go, and they start from scratch.

While I was there, A & L Windows turned up to put the Edwardian bars on my front windows.   I queried with them if this is usual, they said that it is usually done before the windows leave the factory, also asked about the missing window locks - they had ordered the wrong windows, but they can come out and fit new winders after the event.

All those wasted bricks!

Attention to detail, one thing I am a bit of a perfectionist about, also communication, if when I requested on Friday the site supervisor to call me, I probably would have reminded him about the off-white mortar then, and we wouldn't have lost 4 days.   David rang the office this arvo. and after a bit of a battle with them, has set up a meeting on Monday on-site to finally meet our SS.

I know its only a hiccup, and if that's all that goes wrong then we are lucky.   Oh well, hello brick envy, you're back.

9 comments:

Tash said...

Oh Janine that is horrible :( hope your wall goes back up quickly, we were worried about the exact same thing when we saw ours and questioned it, but ours has lightned up now thankfully! However we are having our own troubles at the moment guess we couldnt go all smooth sailing, we have a independent inspector going to the house tomorrow because the plaster is ment to be up on Monday, ill make a post soon in details but basically we are just worried about a couple of things!! Definatly better to have hold up's now, because it would be a bigger problem if they keep going lucky you are on the ball, someones gotta be :)

Lou and Neen said...

Janine that is terrible. I hope they get on to re-building soon. Agree that attention to detail and communication are two of the key elements to anything in life!!!

Linni said...

what a crappy thing to have happen...but the brickies are right, at least you found out now and not later.
Romeo seem to have a thing for restarting the bricking....

Debra said...

No way......can't believe it. Those bricks that had to be selected in 24 hours and then sat waiting for bricklayer. Head banging frustation; then no bars on the windows and wrong winders aaaarrrrrgggghh.

Mr SS owes you not only an introduction but an apology and reassurance that he's on top of everything as thankfully you are.

Chin up you caught early coz I know how heartbreaking it is to have bricks demolished over a lintel!!

Don't know if you called by; I was out today.....you needed a rant and a cuppa. Next time.

Janine K said...

Deb, you are spot on, I did call round and did need that cuppa and have a rant!!! Never mind, went home and got stuck into housework instead. Very happy that David will be meeting with SS on Monday, had to battle with the phone b's though to get an appointment!!!

Raelene said...

WTF?

Where did the communication break down? Like, did the brickies know your mortar colour at all? Was the wrong sand delivered? Does Romeo give their trades a job sheet with your selections specified????

I'm so freaking angry about this. Windows = wrong! Mortar = wrong! Bricks = not available (probably not their fault but I'm going to blame them anyway!) So far they've effed up everything that has needed to be ordered. No wonder they take so freaking long to build a house.
Gaaahhhhhhh.
And why wouldn't they let you meet your SS??

Big hugs J. xx

Debra said...

Drove past your house late this afternoon.....all those demolished bricks!!! I recall you mentioning Romeo charge you to keep unused bricks? I think they owe you this one!!!

Janine K said...

Deb, had they re-done the brickwork when you went past?

Debra said...

Thinking cap.....some brickwork front left garage wall.