Thursday, July 14, 2011

Reader's Lounge

For those of you who have known me for a long time or a short time, you may have picked up on the fact that I am obsessed with everything to do with books! 

Let's face it, I read a lot (hit the jackpot back in 2008 when I read 53 books that year (yes, that's one a week on average).   That includes unabridged audio books as well that I either download from Audible.com or borrow the cd's from the library and upload them onto my iPod and listen to them either in the car or when I am out walking or just doing the ironing.

I have to be careful though not to listen to two books in the one genre, one day I was driving along listening to a crime novel whilst at the same time reading a crime novel and got quite confused as to "who dunnit" and was forgetting which character was dead or alive and in what book - geez that was hard work!

Then I got my dream job in 2009 working in a Library, where I am surrounded by books every day I am there.   Of course by doing this job you see books all day, so when new books come in or people return books that you fancy your first reaction is - "I'll just pop that on hold for myself"


Then of course I have been known to frequent a place called Dirt Cheap Books, which sell brand new end of run and recent books for $5 or less.   The first time we went there David stayed near the door just twiddling his thumbs (he is so NOT a reader, and didn't have an iPhone then to occupy his time) while I browsed the piles of books for sale.   I filled the first basket in about 15 minutes and gave it to him, and he said, "So that's it then" - how adorable was that, NO there was a whole second story that I hadn't been to yet, so I had no trouble filling 2 more baskets!!!   We left around $100 poorer - but look how much I saved!!!!

Have I read all those books yet - of course not, I have made two subsequent visits and had to write down the titles of all the other books so I didn't double up - still managed to buy more that I have in a box and haven't even looked at yet.

Of course then the magical world of e-books has emerged and since I have my new best friend (iPad) there are so many out of copyright FREE e-books you can download as well as purchasing new e-books as well (how can you resist when Kobo ebookstore has Jodi Picoult e-books on special for $5 - you just have to have them!)

So, now you know me a bit better, I am contemplating getting one of these to put in our bay window in the master bedroom.   What do you think?   Of course it won't be red, but I can just see myself lounging in one of these with the morning sun coming in, cup of tea or coffee and my current book - pure bliss!!   The only problem is they are made in NSW and they don't know whether they can get it to Melbourne - Tonia, you may have to drive a truck down and deliver it for me - lol.


6 comments:

Debra said...

Oh yeah.....I can picture you in the window perched on the chaise with a book. I'd be the one walking past with the Bon interrupting your bliss!!!!!

Raelene said...

Ooooo...I like. What colour are you thinking?
If you can't get it here we could go on an avenue roadtrip. Fly up, stay at the Kellyville ridge resort, hire a ute and drive your chaise home :)

Janine K said...

Now that's a thinking girl idea Reinsey, would Kellyville Ridge have any vacancies though?

Lou and Neen said...

It would look great in you bay window. I am sure someone in Melbourne would do them???

Linni said...

you have to stop pinching great ideas out of my head please!! I have been drooling over this same idea...for my master bed. What color are you after? I want a nice chocolate to hide...well my chocolate stains...lol.

Janine K said...

Not sure about colour yet, probably go for a latte colour, something neutral! Have to wait to see whether they can deliver it here from NSW first :(